2016 HYLAX BOYS – 7/8 Group Player Evaluations and Team Selection
LOCATION CHANGE FOR SATURDAY!!!- Moved to WRA Stadium in Hudson.
115 College St., Hudson, OH 44236
It is the mission of the Hudson Youth Lacrosse program to help every child have fun and develop the fundamentals of playing lacrosse. To accomplish these goals the child must be placed in the correct skill level. To this we will be implement skill-based teams at the 7/8th grade level.
PLAYER EVALUATION PROCESS
Player evaluations are held to ensure that your son is placed on a team where he can have fun and compete with like-skilled players. The purpose of these evaluations is to place individual players with other players that have similar lacrosse skills and athletic ability. We project to three teams at the 7/8th grade level for the 2016 Season, one Select team and two equal “B” teams. This format also aligns with tournament brackets and our games schedule.
Vikings – Select Team – Will play the toughest schedule and compete in the OMSLA tournament. Coach John Valko will be the Head Coach for this team. 19 players for regular season. Playing time is all earned based on merit and attitude.
Navy Explorers - Will play a mixed level schedule. Mix of upper level and some Development teams.
Steel Explorers - Will play a mixed level schedule. Mix of upper level and some Development teams.
**REGISTER for Spring by March 11th to be eligible. If financial timing issues, feel free to contact us. Click HERE to register.
All players will be evaluated on 4 basic categories:
* Physical - Speed, Agility, Size, Strength.
* Technical – Ability to execute 4 Fundamentals: Pass, Catch, Scoop, Shoot. Strong and Off hand will be measured.
* Tactical – Understanding of the game and game situations both offense and defense. Field and general lacrosse awareness.
* Intangibles – Attitude. Responsiveness to coaching. Works well in team environment. Unselfish play.
March 12th - 10am – 2pm at WRA Stadium. Arrive with all gear at 9:45am. Water and Snack provided. No Cleats at WRA. Click HERE for a complete listing of gear required.
CANCELLED!!! March 15th – 7:30pm-9:30pm
- Player must be registered to participate. Click HERE to register
- Cleats and Running shoes. Field Turf and Track used.
- Bring Reversible Jersey. Prefer Navy/white…. Dark Color/white.
- Bring own water. Gatorade provided at break. Guests of WRA- pick up trash.
- No spectators. Your player will meet you near the registration table at 2pm.
- Evaluators will select players for all teams (see below) based on this event. Rosters will be finalized once all evaluations are completed.
**3/15/16 session is cancelled with remaining evaluations being done first week of practices.
Our goal is to make this a fun, combine-style event with instruction at each station. We know, and value, that not every player comes to us with the same level of experience. We do not want players new to the sport to feel overwhelmed. There is a spot for every player where they will all grow as a lacrosse player and as a teammate.
9:45am – Player check in.
10am – Group run and stretch.
10:30am – Testing Stations. 1 hour track, 1 hour field.
TRACK TESTING (4 groups). Helmets and Gloves only. 15 min per station.
FIELD TESTING (4 groups) 1 hour.
- GB Timed
- 1 vs 1 with Keepers.
- 3 vs. 2 FB drill.
12:30 pm BREAK. HYLAX provide granola bars (Nature Valley Sweet & Salty Almond), Fruit Snacks, and Gatorade
12:45 - 2 small fields 6 vs. 6.
Team selection details:
* If you cannot attend, please notify Matt Brown (
) and Doug Hackenberg (
* Team selections will be released by Saturday, March 19th.
* Players will not move between teams once assigned. Exception, injuries on Select Team and additional 8th graders for OMSLA.
* Matt Brown and Coach John Valko will be running the Evaluation sessions. Evaluators will be selected by Matt Brown.